Last week we covered the first three videos in the series, taking you through an introduction to eggPlant Functional, setting up your test environment, and how to script. This week we will look at the next three videos in the series, which will help you get organised with your testing.
Firstly, we look at modularization and parameterization, which is very important when considering the scalability of your test suite. After writing your test, you’ll want to re-use and scale it up, so it can be used in hundreds of different test runs.
Secondly, we discuss how to use Optical Character Recognition (OCR); built in, it allows eggPlant Functional to read text off the screen of your system-under-test by deciphering the pixels. OCR is incredibly powerful, allowing you to create robust scripts, that will run across multiple platforms, and continue to work if you change the font in your application.
Lastly, we look at debugging, a critical part of automated test creation. Properly debugging tests ensures stability and reliability of tests, yielding accurate results.
You can watch these three training videos below:
Modularization and parameterization
Learn about the different features of eggPlant Functional that make it easy to modularize your tests for re-use, in particular:
- Handlers: the different types, how and when to use them
- Custom code snippets
- Passing parameters
This video runs through how and when to use OCR, including:
- What is OCR and how it works
- How to write SenseTalk scripts that use OCR
- When and when-not to use OCR
- OCR-related properties – how and when to use them
- Using OCR with languages other than English
Learn how to easily differentiate between a script failure and a bug in the application under test, including:
- Debugging – what it is, and why it’s important
- Types of script failures and what they indicate
- eggPlant Functional debugging features and approaches
PS: The full training video series can be found on our website here.